Saturday, May 5, 2007

My turn to write



It's Saturday evening. Danielle wasn't feeling well today so she went to bed really early and has been asleep now for about 4 hours. I went to the store with Margarita and Adrian to buy some gatarade and soda crackers for Ms. Danielle. Hopefully she'll be feeling better tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've been kickin' it solo in our little place for the past little while. I decided I should take advantage of this time and write a little about our experiences down here. This morning we decided we would spend the day as tourists. We visited Chan Chan which is a historical site with ancient ruins. We toured a palace that was built 800 A.D. It was pretty cool. Our tour guide was an archeologist and knew what he was talking about. I could tell he was used to speaking very simple spanish to all of the north americans that visit. I wasn't complaining, I was actually able to understand most of what he was saying. I'll post some pictures. After Chan Chan we went to a restaurant that a friend in the U.S. recommended to us, "The Chelsea." It was a nice restaurant, a nice place to relax and have a good lunch. I ordered salmon. Bad choice. It came out in thin slices of what looked like raw salmon. I automatically said to Danielle, 'I am NOT eating this.' Not that I'm a super picky eater, but let's be honest, I have my limits. I ordered another dish, and it was just great.

I won't go into detail about the inner-workings of my heart though this experience, but I'll just tell you that I am so happy I am able to be here. I think it is inevitable that when one leaves their comfort zone to "change the world" the truth is that the world changes them--an inevitable law. I hope that Danielle and I can share a little of our expertise with the people here; however, I am confident I will leave more affected by them than they could ever be affected by me.

3 comments:

Kimber & Jeremy! said...

Hi Heather & Daniel! This is the Kimber part of Kimber and Jeremy (he'll probably make me create my own username so I don't write something embarrassing with his name on it, I'll see what I can come up with. :)). I love reading your posts, you girls are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to write them and for the insights they give to us who read them. I bet it is hard to be there and will be even harder to leave. I wish you the best with the next two weeks. Love, Kimber

RC said...

Cute pictures ladies! I'm so glad you are having a good time.

martin said...

diana says: touching point in that last paragraph, and danielle, please get better! we's worried about you being sick in a foreign land.