Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Cucarachas!!!!!

I'm pretty much a night owl. I don't really like sleeping at night until really late. So last night I stayed up catching up on emails and writing about our experiences here in Peru. Heather had been in bed for probably an hour when I went to find something. I think I was going to read my scriptures and then write a little more after reading. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, washed my face, did the normal getting ready for bed things.

When I came out of the bathroom, I saw a cockroach lying on its back. It was one of the disgusting inch-long creatures. There are few things that I hate more in this world than cockroaches, worms, and rodents (unless they're chinchillas--those I can handle). I stood there immobile for a second in total terror. I decided to just let him lay there knowing that I couldn't really deal with that sort of disgustingness.

I crept quietly into our room where our suitcases and backpacks lay unzipped on the ground. I started zipping up bags so that roaches wouldn't get inside. I managed to do both my suitcase and Heather's. I moved on to Heather's backpack and when I went to zip it up, three cockroaches ran out from behind her bag toward the bedroom door. Luckily, it was the opposite direction of me, but I let out a blood curdling scream and literally leapt onto the bottom bunk where Heather was sleeping and proceeded to continue screaming. I despise roaches.

Heather woke up, of course. She was totally freaked out that something crazy had happened. Something crazy had happened. Four roaches dared show themselves in my presence. She started laughing quietly to herself when she realized what the deal was and lay back down. Meanwhile, I continued sitting on her bed breathing deeply and trying to calm myself. I had wanted to read my scriptures, I had wanted to write something else on the blog, I had wanted to change my clothes and get into the top bunk...but I was too scared to do any of it. So I said to Heather, "I'm just going to sleep here." And I climbed under the blanket next to Heather in her double bed, covered my head, and lay there quietly till I fell asleep.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Gross! Welcome to Peru.